GUIDELINES AND REQUIREMENTS FOR AIRCRAFT TYPE CERTIFICATE ACCEPTANCE IN NIGERIA
This document prescribes the guidelines and requirements for aircraft type certificate acceptance in Nigeria.
ACCEPTANCE OF TYPE CERTIFICATES
(1) The authority may accept an aircraft type certificate or equivalent document issued by a State of Design in respect of an aircraft or aircraft component provided that:
(a) The type certificate or equivalent document was issued on, or is based on contracting state airworthiness code recognized by the Authority.
(b) The design, materials, construction, equipment, evaluation against a recognized airworthiness code has been carried out by the authority and has been found to meet the required standards.
(2) Acceptance of an aircraft type certificate or equivalent document issued by a State of Design in this respect means that; the type certificate or equivalent document in relation to design, materials, construction, equipment, was issued on, or is based on contracting state airworthiness code recognized by the Authority.
(3) A ‘recognized airworthiness code’ – means Civil Aviation Regulations and Standards of the contracting State of design relating to the design, materials, construction, equipment, performance and maintenance of aircraft or aircraft components acceptable to the Authority.
(4) To facilitate effective aircraft safety oversight, the State of design or State of manufacture acceptable Aircraft Type Certificate must have provisions:
(a) To publish aircraft technical documents and literature (e.g. flight manual, maintenance manuals etc) in English.
(b) To mail to the authority and the operator the current amendments of all relevant aircraft technical and operation literature.
(c) To manufacture aircraft equipment, instruments with indication markings and placards in English and Arabic numerals.
(d) To deliver aircraft type design incorporating the minimum recommended emergency features (e.g. emergency windows), and emergency equipment with clear operating instructions in English.
TYPE CERTIFICATE EVALUATION/ACCEPTANCE PROGRAMME
The Authority’s Airworthiness Aviation Safety Inspector(s) will carry out type certificate evaluation/acceptance programme as stated below at a cost to be borne by the applicant (Operator or Manufacturer). The applicant shall pay statutory fees as contained in the Fees Schedule in the Nigeria CARs.
2. Visit to Plant (s)
3. Review of:
(i) Methods of Production and Assembly.
(ii) Materials and Manufacturing Processes.
(iii) Quality Assurance:
- Product Support
(iv) Development History and Certification Standards
(v) Service Experience
- Areas of Concern
- Design improvement
(vi) Certification Records
(vii) Structures and System with emphasis on:
- Design Criteria/Structural Design Philosophy
- Corrosion Protection
- Performance Scheduling and Flight Manual
- Maintenance Programme
(viii) Product Support:
- Engineering Support Service
- Technical Publications
4. AWD Special requirements
5. Aircraft Survey
ACCEPTANCE OF TYPE CERTIFICATE
The Authority will issue a type certificate acceptance certificate to the manufacturer after successful completion of the type acceptance programme and the operator will be issued aircraft acceptance for registration note
The aircraft that do not satisfy the acceptable Type Certificate requirements are classified Non Compliant and cannot be accepted for registration in Nigeria.
AIRCRAFT SAFETY OVERSIGHT REQUIREMENTS
Training requirements to Ensure Effective Safety Oversight:
For a new aircraft type on the Nigeria Aircraft Civil Register, the applicant (operator or manufacturer) will be required to provide training to Authority’s inspectors on the type.
(a) The number of inspectors to be trained will depend on the size and complexity of the aircraft. This will include Airworthiness and Flight Operations inspectors;
(b) For a series type of an aircraft, a refresher or difference course may be required to keep abreast to the technological advancement or differences.
ALL AIRCRAFT TO BE REGISTERED AND OPERATED IN NIGERIA MUST COMPLY WITH ALL THE REQUIRED INSTRUMENTS AND EQUIPMENT AS CONTAINED IN PART 7 OF THE NIGERIA CIVIL AVIATION REGULATIONS
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE REFER TO THE NCAA ADVISORY CIRCULAR NCAA-AC-AWS001A
Should you require further information do not hesitate to contact:
The Director General
Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority
Aviation House, P.M.B. 21029, 21038